Sofas are a very important complement in everyone’s life. These furnitures allow us to have a space where we feel comfortable and relax during our moments of rest. In addition to this, sofas are an essential part of the decoration of our home, for this reason, we must choose them taking into account some details.
Choosing the right sofas is a bit of a chore. You have to take into account the color, style, fabric, comfort, and size because all this will vary depending on the rest of the decoration of the house.
- 0.1 Durable sofas
- 0.2 How to know if the sofas are comfortable?
- 0.3 Sofas and their structure
- 0.4 Sofas upholstery and fabrics
- 0.5 Upholstery for sofas
- 1 The best sofas to give a different touch to your home
When buying a sofa, you should take into account three basic recommendations to avoid a wrong purchase: how many people will use it daily, the measurements of the place where you are going to place it, and the distribution. If you go to a physical store, we recommend you review several models of sofas, also, try different ways of sitting and opt for removable or fixed seats.
On the other hand, if you have been looking for sofas on the internet, take into account the opinions of other buyers, look at the measurements and check if the seller is trustworthy. Also, if this is not enough for you, you can contact the store so that someone in charge can give you more information.
How to know if the sofas are comfortable?
- The hips: If when you sit down, your hips are more sunken than your knees, let me tell you that this sofa will give you a lot of trouble getting up.
- Feet on the floor: When you support your back on the back of the sofa, your feet should be on the floor as well.
- Lower back: After supporting the back on the back of the sofa, the kidneys must be protected to prevent the body from sliding.
- The knees: To choose a suitable sofa, you should also bear in mind that when you sit down, it does not press the back of your knees.
- Armrests: The armrests should be at the height of the elbows, if they are lower they could cause discomfort.
Sofas and their structure
Sofas have a complicated task because they must be adapted to the needs of each member of the family and the different uses that are given to them. Some examples of this are sitting down to chat, watch TV, read, or play video games. In general, sofas are created to last for many years, however, in order to acquire a quality product, these requirements must be taken into account:
- Metallic or solid wood structure
- Strips parallel to the chassis on each seat to support the weight of the cushions
- The legs of the sofas should be part of the structure of the same because generally, those that are bolted are more insecure and when they are moved from one place to another, they become loose.
- A trick that the architect Javier Carrasco shares with us is: “To check if a sofa will support the daily trot is to lift one of its front legs 15 cm from the ground. If the other is raised to the same height, the frame is resistant”.
Sofas upholstery and fabrics
To provide maximum comfort, nowadays sofas are made with high-resistance foams that do not deform. Some of these options include HR polyurethane foam, springs, and memory foam. In addition, the backrests must be softer than the seat, for this reason, siliconized hollow fiber of feather or HR foam is used.
Every 5 or 6 years it is advisable to change the foam fillings so that the sofas maintain comfort and regain density. On the other hand, a breathable sofa also determines its resistance, and here comes the issue of upholstery and padding. The more breathable it is, the more comfort there will be.
Upholstery for sofas
- Cotton: The advantage of this upholstery is that it does not deform easily, it is resistant, fresh, and elastic. In addition, it adapts to all types of decoration because it is available in a wide variety of patterns and colors.
- Chenille: Provides a velvety finish, it is resistant and thanks to the litmus effect, the colors change according to the light.
- Leather upholstery: It is resistant and although it does wear, this gives it a decorative touch. It adapts perfectly to modern and classic environments. To clean them, all you need is a cloth moistened with water and a special cream.
- Technical upholstery: The main characteristic of this upholstery is that it is resistant to stains. It adapts to any style thanks to its variety of textures and colors.
The best sofas to give a different touch to your home
Sofas in basic tones
The basic tones will never go out of style and if you are thinking of acquiring a new sofa, these colors can be part of your ideas. These colors combine perfectly with everything, for this reason, you will not have to worry much about the decoration of your home. For example, the gray color is one of the easiest to combine, and at least the use is noticeable.
If your idea is to create a space with versatile accessories that you can modify from time to time, modular sofas will be your best ally. They are simple pieces with basic lines. They are generally available in basic shades and some are backed while others are not. This idea is fun and can be implemented in any space.
There are many people who are fans of bright colors that will bring some joy to any space. Without a doubt, this is a risky choice because you have to combine the color of the sofa with the previously established decoration. The funniest thing is to combine the cushions so that there is a contrast and mix all your favorite colors.
The sofas that have a chaise longue will allow you to lie down completely, and it is an excellent option if you have enough space in the living room. If you are one of those people who enjoy staying on the couch for a long time, you will not regret opting for this option. Best of all, they are durable and versatile.
The vintage style is another recommendation we have for you. If you have previously added other antique furniture, you could complement it with a sofa in this style. They are quite durable and you can add cushions to give it a different touch and create a contrast.
These pieces last for many years if we take proper care of them. The small disadvantage is that they are a little more expensive than other models, but if the value is within your budget, dare to include a sofa like this in your living room. It is best to choose classic shades like brown or dark for a simple and elegant look.